Skip to main content

Family allowance


Entitlement to family allowance for their children (up to the age of 18):

Austrian citizens

    • domiciled in the country or habitual residence and the centre of their domestic life interests

Foreign nationals

    • with residence permit under the Law of Establishment and Residence or granted asylum

For students, family allowances up to the age of 24 can be granted to parents. A reference up to the age of 25 is possible in cases of pregnancy, attendance/civil service, severe disability and also the completion of a social year at home.

How is the application made?

The relevant housing tax office is responsible for the family allowance. The family allowance application can only be submitted by the parents to the relevant tax office. This can also be done electronically via FinanzOnline.



  • If the child is of legal age:
    • Proof of ongoing vocational training 
    • Proof of success
  • Proof of study delay for foreign citizens (including EU citizens):
    • Proof of lawful residence in accordance with Sections 8 or 9 of the Law on Establishment and Residence (NAG)
  • Proof of presence, training or civil service


Any facts which may have an impact on the family allowance (e.g. a change of studies or an overshoot of the salary threshold) as well as changes in the name or address must be reported to the competent tax office within 1 month from the date of publication of the facts.


Frequently asked questions

Below is an excerpt of the most common questions. More detailed information on family allowances can be found in our social brochure  and on!

  • Can I extend the Family Allowance (FBH)?

The general duration of entitlement is minimum study time plus tolerance semester. In the case of a bachelor's degree, this means (6 + 2 =) 8 semesters. Furthermore, despite the presence of one of the following important reasons, a FBH can only be carried out up to a maximum of 24 or 25 (see above prerequisites).

Important reasons that lead to an extension of the entitlement period:

1. In the event of an unforeseeable or unavoidable event
An unforeseen or unavoidable event, such as an accident, may result in an extension of the period of claim. An unforeseen or unavoidable event occurs, for example, even if there are obstacles in the study and examination establishment, which make it impossible for the individual students to complete the course of study within the prescribed time without his_her fault.

2. In the presence of a medical condition
Students are substantially impeded during the period of claim due to illness for at least 3 months without interruption and proves this  by means of a specialist certificate, he or she may receive an additional semester FBH in the respective section.

3. Completion of a semester abroad
If a semester abroad has been completed during the period of entitlement and lasts at least 3 months, an extension semester (in the respective section) may also be used.

4. Exercising an ÖH representation activity
If you work as a freshmen tutor or student representative of any level (including in the student dormitory representation) or in committees, this may extend the period of entitlement to FBH.

5. Maternity protection or care and education of a child
The expiry of the period of entitlement is inhibited during the period of maternity protection (usually 8 weeks before and 8 weeks after birth) and during the period of care and education of the child's own child up to the age of 2. These 2 years of care and education for one's own child can be perceived either by the mother or by the father to the extent of full semesters (e.g. 2 semesters by the mother and then 2 semesters by the father). After the respective semesters, the semester counting continues as normal.

  • When and how much ECTS do I have to provide (proof of performance)?

After the first year of study, i.e. after the first two semesters, a certificate of achievement of at least 16 ECTS credits or 8 semester-week hours (SWS) from compulsory and elective subjects must be presented. All subjects and examinations provided for in the curriculum apply to proof of achievement. If there is a study entry and orientation phase with at least 14 ECTS credits or a partial diploma examination or a partial rigorosum, the proof of this is sufficient after the 1st year of study.

Once you have provided the proof of achievement, you can apply for the minimum study period plus 2 tolerance semesters or for diploma studies for the remaining minimum study period of the

1st section plus 1 tolerance semester FBH. After taking the 1st (2nd) diploma examination, the right to FBH is for the 2nd (3rd) section plus 1 tolerance semester. In any case, you must also send the confirmations of continuation to the tax office in the 2nd (3rd) section.

But even after the proof of performance after the first year of study, you must be able to prove a serious and determined degree in the event of a request from the tax office.

  • Can I change my studies?

A maximum of 2 study changes are permitted and the previous course of study must not have been enrolled more than 2 semesters. If you change studies more than 2 times, you will lose your claim to the FBH forever. A change of course should therefore take place no later than the admission period of the 3rd semester. Otherwise, there will be a late change of studies, which may have a negative impact on the aid. If you have changed your studies too late, i.e. after the 3rd semester, you lose the right to FBH, but can recover it later. After all, a change of studies after the 3rd semester is no longer to be considered if you have completed as many semesters in the now chosen course of study as in the previously conducted studies. A corresponding proof of performance from the now-operated course of study must of course also be available.

  • What is the salary limit?

The salary limit refers to your annual income. For a calendar year that is after the calendar year by the age of 19, your entitlement to family allowance (FBH) will be reduced by the amount that your taxable income exceeds € 10,000. There are no additional allowances for income during the holidays. Taxable income is to be determined in accordance with the provisions of income tax legislation and is derived from gross income less social security contributions, the Chamber of Labour levy, advertising costs (operating expenses), special expenditure and exceptional charges.

Further questions?

Write an email to or simply visit us during one of our consultation hours!